Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tyler Perry and Spike Lee: The Role of Movies in Entertainment & Education

Much has been said of late regarding the controversy of Tyler Perry telling Spike Lee to "Go to hell," after Lee criticized his movies.  I find that all too often, on one hand, too much is expected of Hollywood and its relationship in portraying social and moral issues.  On the other hand, too little is expected of movie-goers to discern the differences between filmakers' artistry and the realities of the world in which we live.  Specifically, there is a place for the works of Perry and of Lee.  There should not be a divide and accusations that one or the other is denigrating a race.  The question that must be asked is, "Is it the role of Hollywood to educate, entertain or do both?"

Personally, I have never look to the film industry to educate me about anything.  I much prefer reading, university classrooms, research, etc. to gain knowledge.  When I go to a movie, I want to be entertained, to laugh, to cry, to be spellbound, and ultimately to be excited enough so that I want to find out the REALITY of a movie's topic that I know can never be fully relayed in a Hollywood production.  Hollywood can attempt to and sometimes come very close to educating movie-goers, but it should never hold itself as the banner of enlightenment for the social ills of society.

Spike Lee is a very gifted filmmaker and I have enjoyed watching his productions.  However, I do not view Lee as a spokesman, ambassador, and/or leader of African Americans.  Mr. Lee's films do not speak to every aspect of my life nor do I rely on him to portray African Americans in his films as role models for society. 

Tyler Perry is a very gifted filmmaker and I have enjoyed watching his productions.  However, I do not view Perry as a spokesman, ambassador, and/or leader of African Americans.  Mr. Perry's films do not speak to every aspect of my life nor do I rely on him to portray African Americans in his films as role models for society.   Are you beginning to see my point?

As an avid movie-goer, I am very thankful that I am able to discern the difference between fictional characters like Perry's Madea and the real mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and females who inspired his vision.  As for the allegations of Perry's characters on television, the Paynes and the Browns, portraying "buffoonery" and "coonery," I find them hilarious and sometimes so close to real people that I know, that I am amazed.  Perry's movies and television shows ultimately reveal lessons on family unity, love, redemption and salvation, if you are paying attention.  I could also say the same for Lee's characters. 

I believe that it is a mistake to believe and rely on filmmakers to define who I am, how I should depict a character, and/or tell me what I should think--about anything!  Perhaps too much time is wasted on how Hollywood (Lee and Perry specifically) portrays African Americans on the screen rather than how African Americans (as well as all races) conduct themselves in the real world. 

Yes, there is an extremely ugly, uncomfortable, ubiquitous legacy of racism that permeates the world, but being overly critical of entertainers and the mediums through which they tell their stories will never change the hearts of those who hate.  Removing the images from the screen will never remove the racism from our lives.  Removing these images from how we act and navigate through real-world society will change the hearts of some

Movies as educators, or representative of a race?  I think NOT  Movies as entertainment that may makes us think and explore new knowledge, I think SO.

1 comment: